Shallow water environments
and inferred hydro-morphodynamic processes
I am Associate professor at the University of Montpellier II [UM2] in the laboratory Géosciences-Montpellier [GM]. I am also invited researcher at the Institute of Mathematics and Modelling of Montpellier [I3M]. One of my final goal is to provide Earth Sciences with relevant and innovative physical concepts and models relative to the dynamics of littoral and shallow water environments. In these web pages, you will find descriptions of my research activities.
I am convinced that interactions between disciplines can be at the origin of attractive scientific developments. As a consequence, I devote a significant part of my research activity to build bridges between distinct communities, more especially applied mathematics, coastal engineering, physics and geosciences. Less freshly, I have been deeply involved in the edification of partnerships and littoral scientific networks at the national and mediterranean scales.
I teach classes at the University Montpellier 2 for under-graduated and graduated students. I have been involved in many different learnings during the last 10 years, including geodynamics (passive margins), sedimentology, marine geophysics, geomatics & remote sensing, hazard analysis, littoral dynamics, introduction to geology/-physics, cartography, database conception, numerical modelling, quantitative geomorphology, field cartography,...
Distinctions, awards, grants & memberships:
- 2012: Prize "chercheur d'avenir" for a work on the nearshore water level ;
- 2010 – 2019: PES (Prime Excellence Scientifique, a french national grant) ;
- 2005 – present: Leader and active member of GLADYS and SO LTC groups ;
- 1997 – 2000: PhD fellowship from the French Ministry of Education and Research ;
- 1996: M.Sc fellowship from the French Ministry of Education and Research ;
- 1996: Prize from "Jeunesse & Sport" for ASTEME initiative (Geology of Bolivia for children) ;
- 1996: Prize for ASTEME initiative from Ville de Nîmes ;
- Regular membership at ASF, AGU and IAS since 1997 ;
- Lifetime member of the Coastal Education Research Foundation (CERF) and Journal of Coastal Research (JCR)
More personal informations:
- I was born on january 2nd, 1973 ;
- My official position is Associate professor (Senior lecturer for british on the permanent position 0441) at the University of Montpellier (Faculty of Sciences and technology);
- I am single with two marvellous teenagers at home ;
- My mother tongue is french ;
- I am a Spanish [C1/C1], English [C1/B2] speaker/writer, and I have some restricted notions of Norwegian [A1/A1]. Previous brackets mean [ speaking / writing ] according to CEFR classification ;
- I am an advanced developer in C and Bash scripting, ASM & and various geotools (special attention paid to GMT). I also write scripts with Python ;
- I am an advocate of the free software principle (See e.g. GNU for details). I also love the Debian Project.
Amongst other things, I love playing classic guitar (12 years of loyal service in my youth), finger-picking and other styles. I (would) like to practice (more) skiing, trecking, scuba diving. I used to do some judo in another life.